Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Homeschooling/Unschooling: Counting!!!

Pin It
Hey all!


So, this week, we are doing a recap over EVERYTHING she has learned up until this point.  We started on MATH!! Math is my favorite subject, so I thought it was fitting to recap with her on it!!

What I did for HOMESCHOOLING:

-- I had her count to 20 first!! -- She did just fine!

-- I then put out colored popsicle sticks on the floor (10) to have her point and say the number (VIDEO ABOVE) -- It was...interesting to say the least.

-- Her and I then went around the house and started counting doors.  Everytime she found a door, she'd say, "1 door, 2 doors, 3 doors, etc." -- We did that over and over again until we reached 10.  (I will do it to 20 next week)

-- We then went into her room and counted her baby dolls, stuffed animals. -- That was the best!! She kept giving them hugs as she counted them! :)

-- We then went to the flash cards and she called out each number as she saw it.


We had a BLAST doing this recap.  Since she is only 25 months, she tends to get bored VERY easily, so I made sure to break it up and have her do different things to keep her interested.  Worked out very well, folks! :)


What I did for UNSCHOOLING:


We decided to BAKE in order to learn more about math today!!!

-- We used  ONE cup of flour (she scooped the flour out of the container and said, "ONE")

-- We used 1/2 cup of sugar (she scooped the sugar out of the container and said, "ONE HALF")

-- We used 1/2 cup of flour *yes again* (she scooped the flour out of the container and said, "ONE HALF")

-- We used ONE cup of water (she helped me fill the cup up in the sink and said "ONE")


 -- We then mixed it all together and put it in a baking pan... Now, we baked it at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

As the 'flat bread' was baking, on paper, I wrote:

  1
+1
+(1/2 and 1/2)
------------------------------

I then explained to her that 1/2 and 1/2 equals one (which is something we will get into later in her homeschooling, unschooling and on the blog! :)

I then wrote:

  1
+1
+1
-----------------------------

I then had her count each one as, "One, Two, Three" -- She said, "Three! Three Ones!!"

How's that for addition??

We then took the bread out and it wasn't half bad!! :) HAHA!!




We had a blast and it shows!!

She was happy to learn and happy to be done for the day as well! :)

If there are any other ''tricks of the trade" that you know about, please let me and my readers know!! We'd love to get more information!! :)

Questions: CharlottesAvenue@gmail.com
Comments: Leave them here!! :)

Make sure you spread the word about the blog as well, folks!! Let's get the word out!!

Thanks!

Keep Watching,

Char~

8 comments:

Michelle G said...

Love the video... She is brilliant!

Unknown said...

Michelle G * Thank you, mami!! :) She's a smart little cookie!! :)

Char~

Nicole said...

Wow I get to leave a comment today. The counting sequence is great! I bet she knows we are always surround by numbers doors, baking, etc.

Unknown said...

Nicole * Thank you!! Yes ma'am!! Every window we pass, every tree we pass, etc... She's counting! :)

Char~

Coilybella said...

Wow. I like this counting activity! Honestly, I am hooked on your blog. Thanks for sharing. God bless you!

Unknown said...

Coilybella * Awesome!!! I'm glad that you get something out of it... That is my hope and prayer!!! God bless you as well, Sista!! :)

Char~

Nicole P said...

Just found this blog. Kinda tired of hearing homeschooling moms tell me that my 5 year old should just enjoy playing and that I shouldn't worry about teaching them anything. Your way of play learning, I LOVE! I'm definitely adopting some of your methods!

Unknown said...

Nicole P * YES!! Many people will tell you that your children DO NOT need to learn at this age... But, why not??? Why not instill some type of curriculum into their daily routine?? To me, that's the ONLY way a parent SHOULD be!! :) Choca just turned four earlier this week... and she's reading, doing addition, subtraction, knows sign language fluently, All her shapes, etc... and she speaks VERY well... All because of Homeschooling/Unschooling!! Enjoy it!! :)

Char~